Re: Error on failed COMMIT

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Error on failed COMMIT
Дата
Re: Error on failed COMMIT  (Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2020-02-25 at 13:25 +0530, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 12:47 PM Vladimir Sitnikov
> <sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Noone suggested that "commit leaves the session in a transaction state".
> > Of course, every commit should terminate the transaction.
> > However, if a commit fails (for any reason), it should produce the relevant ERROR that explains what went wrong
ratherthan silently doing a rollback.

> OK, I guess I misinterpreted the proposal. That would be much less
> problematic -- any driver or application that can't handle ERROR in
> response to an attempted COMMIT would be broken already.

I agree with that.

There is always some chance that someone relies on COMMIT not
throwing an error when it rolls back, but I think that throwing an
error is actually less astonishing than *not* throwing one.

So, +1 for the proposal from me.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

От: Alexander Korotkov
Сообщение: Re: [Patch] pg_rewind: options to use restore_command fromrecovery.conf or command line
От: Antonin Houska
Сообщение: Re: RS_EPHEMERAL vs RS_TEMPORARY