Re: Initial eventlog support on win32

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Initial eventlog support on win32
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Magnus Hagander wrote:

>This patch adds initial eventlog support on win32. It's good enough for
>most purposes, but we will probably want a specific message DLL later to
>format the messages nicer.

I'm extremely happy to see this being done - it's a must-have for WIN32,
I think.

>The patch mimcs the syslog handling in most cases. It also hijacks the
>syslog guc variable. Since syslog is not available on win32, it's
>meaning is redefined as eventlog.  So syslog=1 means eventlog+stdout,
>syslog=2 means just eventlog.

I'm less happy about this. In fact the 0 | 1 | 2 for syslog is very
hokey anyway. What is more, it is not inconceivable that someone would
run syslogd on a Windows host, especially if it pointed to a remote
syslog. Such things exist, as a quick Google search will demonstrate.
(I'm not sure if we have any API available on WIndows to support it, but
that's another question.)

I would rather see the setting cleaned up and allow zero or more of
stdout, syslog, and eventlog (and it should probably be called
log_destination or some such instead of syslog).

cheers

andrew

От: "Magnus Hagander"
Сообщение: Initial eventlog support on win32
От: Claudio Natoli
Сообщение: Re: Patch for select and APC on win32