PGPASSWORD

От postgresbugs
Тема PGPASSWORD
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
I know this is not a bug, but I didn't see a list that I thought this
would fit into.

I saw in the documentation that PGPASSWORD is deprecated in favor of of
the .pgpass file for security reasons.

I would like to recommend removing the deprecation flag from PGPASSWORD.
It is very useful in dynamic setting of passwords by applications to run
pg_dump and psql and the like from applications. I use it in several
applications. This way I can give users access to database information
without giving them access to the database. I also use in an application
server in a process to make one PostgreSQL database a backup of another
and then the application server keeps the two in sync.

Without PGPASSWORD or applications like pg_dump and psql accepting a
password on the command line, I would not be able to do this since the
user running the application server may not have access to the actual
database.

Hope you will consider this.

Thanks,
John Griffiths

От: Klaus Ita
Сообщение: select clause not according to SQL standard
От: Richard Huxton
Сообщение: Re: select clause not according to SQL standard