UNION messing up sorting WAS: psql performance

От Joseph Shraibman
Тема UNION messing up sorting WAS: psql performance
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>Incidentally when I did that I only got back one row.  What's up with that?
>

> Try with "union all" instead of plain union.

Talk about serendipity.  The problem I've been struggling with for the
last few hours has been why my query wasn't producing sorted output even
though I put in an ORDER BY and the EXPLAIN shows that it is ordering.
The DISTINCT implied by the UNION must have been messing up the sorting.

The docs say
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/sql-select.html#SQL-UNION):

select_statement is any SELECT statement without an ORDER BY, LIMIT, or
FOR UPDATE clause. (ORDER BY and LIMIT can be attached to a
subexpression if it is enclosed in parentheses.

... but I *did* put my SELECTs in parentheses.  This is either a bug in
pg or a serious ommision from the docs.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Assigning password to the superuser
От: Joseph Shraibman
Сообщение: Re: psql performance