Re: Help understanding indexes, explain, and optimizing

От Chris
Тема Re: Help understanding indexes, explain, and optimizing
Дата
Re: Help understanding indexes, explain, and optimizing  ("Dave Dutcher" <dave@tridecap.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
i.v.r. wrote:
> [...]
>         ->  Sort  (cost=89033.90..89607.67 rows=229510 width=206)
>               Sort Key: schools.location_id
>               ->  Seq Scan on schools  (cost=0.00..5478.10 rows=229510
> width=206)
>
> I don't completely understand what that output means, but it would seem
> that the first join costs about 4000, but if I remove that join from the
> query, the performance difference is negligible. So as I said, it seems
> the problem is the join on the schools table.
>
> I hope it's ok for me to post the relevant tables here, so here they are
> (I removed some constraints and indexes that aren't relevant to the
> query above):
>
> CREATE TABLE groups
> (
>  user_id int4 NOT NULL,
>  name varchar(50) NOT NULL,
>  pretty_url varchar(50) NOT NULL,
>  id serial NOT NULL,
>  CONSTRAINT groups_pk PRIMARY KEY (id),
> )
>
> CREATE TABLE locations
> (
>  colony_id int4 NOT NULL,
>  user_id int4 NOT NULL,
>  group_id int4 NOT NULL,
>  distinction varchar(60) NOT NULL,
>  street varchar(60) NOT NULL,
>  street_2 varchar(50) NOT NULL,
>  postal_code varchar(5) NOT NULL,
>  pretty_url varchar(60) NOT NULL,
>  id serial NOT NULL,
>  CONSTRAINT locations_pk PRIMARY KEY (id),
>  CONSTRAINT colony FOREIGN KEY (colony_id)
>      REFERENCES colonies (id) MATCH SIMPLE
>      ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION,
>  CONSTRAINT "group" FOREIGN KEY (group_id)
>      REFERENCES groups (id) MATCH SIMPLE
>      ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION,
> )
> CREATE INDEX locations_fki_colony
>  ON locations
>  USING btree
>  (colony_id);
> CREATE INDEX locations_fki_group
>  ON locations
>  USING btree
>  (group_id);
>
> CREATE TABLE schools
> (
>  location_id int4 NOT NULL,
>  service_id int4 NOT NULL,
>  sustentation_id int4 NOT NULL,
>  dependency_id int4 NOT NULL,
>  level_id int4 NOT NULL,
>  user_id int4 NOT NULL,
>  type_id int4 NOT NULL,
>  distinction varchar(25) NOT NULL,
>  cct varchar(20) NOT NULL,
>  created_on timestamp(0) NOT NULL,
>  updated timestamp(0),
>  pretty_url varchar(25) NOT NULL,
>  id serial NOT NULL,
>  CONSTRAINT schools_pk PRIMARY KEY (id),
>  CONSTRAINT "location" FOREIGN KEY (location_id)
>      REFERENCES locations (id) MATCH SIMPLE
>      ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION,
> )
> CREATE INDEX schools_fki_location
>  ON schools
>  USING btree
>  (location_id);
>
> So I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I migrated this database from

Have you done an 'analyze' or 'vacuum analyze' over these tables?

A left outer join gets *everything* from the second table:

 > LEFT OUTER JOIN groups ON groups.id = locations.group_id
 > LEFT OUTER JOIN schools ON schools.location_id = locations.id

So they will load everything from groups and schools. Maybe they should
be left join's not left outer joins?

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

От: "Jim C. Nasby"
Сообщение: Re: Planner enhancement suggestion.
От: "i.v.r."
Сообщение: Re: Help understanding indexes, explain, and optimizing