Re: PL/pgSQL 'i = i + 1' Syntax

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL 'i = i + 1' Syntax
Дата
Re: PL/pgSQL 'i = i + 1' Syntax
Список pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing wrote:
>> I don't think too many people are using that functionality intentionally; I
>> probably write more PL/pgSQL than anyone and would regard any assignment
>> without ":=" as a bug.
>>

> I do occasionally write some pl/pgSQL, and have at some points written a
> lot of it. And most of it uses = instead of := , including all code
> written during last 1.5 years.
>
> Once I found out that = works for assignment, i completely stopped
> using := .I have treated := as "deprecated" for some time already.
>
> So allowing only := for assignment would make me very sad .

I can only comment that that seems crazy.

:= is
. documented
. consistent with pl/sql and ancestors

Even C doesn't use the same operator for assignment and comparison.

Sometimes I wonder if large parts of the IT world is trying to pretend
that the Algol family never existed.

cheers

andrew

От: "Jim C. Nasby"
Сообщение: Re: Compression and on-disk sorting
От: "Jim C. Nasby"
Сообщение: Cross-version dumps (was: [DOCS] Mention pg_dump version portability)