Re: Compiling PL/Perl and Pl/Python on x86_64

От Theo Schlossnagle
Тема Re: Compiling PL/Perl and Pl/Python on x86_64
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> imacat wrote:
>
>>     But, on my i386 machine, I can build PL/Perl with static library
>> (libperl.a).  But I can't do that on x86_64 anymore.  Can somebody tell
>> me why, or where should I referring to?
>>

> Why do you want to do this? It works perfectly well with a shared lib,
> and is probably more memory efficient and faster to load.

I assume this is for the performance gains that can be seen by loading
non-PIC code over PIC code.  However, this is not an option on x86_64.
Dynamically loaded code must be compiled with PIC on pretty much every
platform except 32-bit intel.

The bigger puzzle is why you could link against non-PIC code in shared
objects on 32-bit x86.  (I know the answer, but it has no real merit).
If you want things dynamically loadable, they must be PIC.

--
// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/

От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: error-free disabling of individual child partition
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] autovacuum "connections" are hidden