Re: Inefficient bytea escaping?

От Thomas Hallgren
Тема Re: Inefficient bytea escaping?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Marko Kreen wrote:
> On 5/28/06, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
>> With -lpthread
>> lock.enabled     323s
>> lock.disabled     50s
>> lock.unlocked     36s
>
> I forgot to test with -lpthread, my bad.  Indeed by default
> something less expensive that full locking is going on.
>
>> The crux of the matter is though, if you're calling something a million
>> times, you're better off trying to find an alternative anyway. There is
>> a certain amount of overhead to calling shared libraries and no amount
>> of optimisation of the library is going save you that.
>
> The crux of the matter was if its possible to use fwrite
> as easy string combining mechanism and the answer is no,
> because it's not lightweight enough.

IIRC the windows port make use of multi-threading to simulate signals and it's likely that
some add-on modules will bring in libs like pthread. It would be less ideal if PostgreSQL
was designed to take a significant performance hit when that happens. Especially if a viable
alternative exists.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

От: Hannu Krosing
Сообщение: Re: COPY FROM view
От: Martijn van Oosterhout
Сообщение: Re: LIKE, leading percent, bind parameters and indexes