Re: Recommended Initial Settings

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Recommended Initial Settings
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Campbell, Lance wrote:
> Richard,
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> You said:
> "Your operating-system should be doing the caching for you."
>
> My understanding is that as long as Linux has memory available it will
> cache files.  Then from your comment I get the impression that since
> Linux would be caching the data files for the postgres database it would
> be redundant to have a large shared_buffers.  Did I understand you
> correctly?

That's right - PG works with the O.S. This means it *might* not be a big
advantage to have a large shared_buffers.

On older versions of PG, the buffer management code wasn't great with
large shared_buffers values too.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

От: "Campbell, Lance"
Сообщение: Re: Recommended Initial Settings
От: "Jim C. Nasby"
Сообщение: Re: Using the 8.2 autovacuum values with 8.1