Re: cutting out the middleperl

От Kenneth Downs
Тема Re: cutting out the middleperl
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Merlin Moncure wrote:

>> Kenneth> This in effect makes the web server a proxy to the database,
>> which
>> Kenneth> sounds like what you are after.  The "P" portion for us is
>> PHP, not
>> Kenneth> Perl, and it is small though non-zero.  It has only two jobs
>> really.
>> Kenneth> In the one direction it converts HTTP requests into SQL, and
>> in the
>> Kenneth> other it converts SQL results into HTML.
>>
>> How do you control trust?  I presume you're not accepting raw SQL
>> queries (or
>> even snippets) over the wire, so you have to have enough server-side
>> mapping
>> code to map domain objects into database objects and domain verbs into
>> queries, and then authenticate and authorize that this verb is
>> permitted by
>> the incoming user. That can't be just a trivial amount of code.  That's
>> usually a serious pile of code.
>>
>> And please don't tell me you do all of that client-side. :)
>
> looking at his project, it looks like you create tables and forms
> using simple rule based system. very elegant imo, although I would
> greatly prefer to to have the rules be in tables them selves, so I can
> manipulate with sql, or self hosting dialogs.   very interesting
> project i must sasy, it feels like alphora but with web spin on it.

Actually we do put the rules in the tables and you can execute SQL
directly, something that I so much take for granted now that I sometimes
have to remind myself that most of the world cannot do this!

If the website is not giving that impression, I'll have to correct that,
ouch!  Can you tell me what gave you the impression we were just about
web forms?

Thanks for the comments, "elegant", now that's something I'll have to
forward to Mom :)

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Constraint and Index with same name? (chicken and egg probelm)
От: Erik Jones
Сообщение: Re: Is there a shortage of postgresql skilled ops people