Re: Using the GPU

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: Using the GPU
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Alexander Staubo wrote:
> On 6/8/07, Billings, John <John.Billings@paetec.com> wrote:
>> If so  which part of the database, and what kind of parallel
>> algorithms would be  used?
>
> GPUs are parallel vector processing pipelines, which as far as I can
> tell do not lend themselves right away to the data structures that
> PostgreSQL uses; they're optimized for processing high volumes of
> homogenously typed values in sequence.

But wouldn't vector calculations on database data be sped up? I'm
thinking of GIS data, joins across ranges like matching one (start, end)
range with another, etc.
I realize these are rather specific calculations, but if they're
important to your application...

OTOH modern PC GPU's are optimized for pushing textures; basically
transferring a lot of data in as short a time as possible. Maybe it'd be
possible to move result sets around that way? Do joins even maybe?

And then there are the vertex and pixel shaders...

It'd be kind of odd though, to order a big time database server with a
high-end gaming card in it :P

--
Alban Hertroys
alban@magproductions.nl

magproductions b.v.

T: ++31(0)534346874
F: ++31(0)534346876
M:
I: www.magproductions.nl
A: Postbus 416
   7500 AK Enschede

// Integrate Your World //

От: Johannes Konert
Сообщение: Re: Suppress checking of chmod 700 on data-dir?
От: "Simon Riggs"
Сообщение: Re: Suppress checking of chmod 700 on data-dir?