Re: trying to track down postgres deaths

От Geoffrey
Тема Re: trying to track down postgres deaths
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Geoffrey <esoteric@3times25.net> writes:
>> Question is, when I see:
>> #17 0x08151bc5 in ClosePostmasterPorts ()
>> in the stack trace of the process, is this an indicator that the backend
>> process was trying to shutdown?
>
> No; that's a function that's executed immediately after fork() to close
> postmaster sockets that the backend doesn't need to have open.  It's
> highly unlikely that you'd get a crash in there, and even more improbable
> that it'd be 17 levels down the call stack.  My bet is that you are
> trying to debug with a non-debug-enabled build, and gdb is giving you a
> less than accurate stack trace.

This is highly likely as you are correct, we are not running with debug
turned on.  It's on the list, but high availability for these services
has not permitted us to do this.

We know we have a problem with a third party vendor's code we have used
to build into the backend.  It doesn't properly terminate when you run
their application from a shell, thus we are pretty certain this is
causing the problem with the backend processes not properly terminating
when our application terminates.

> Rebuild with --enable-debug, and maybe also --enable-cassert, and see
> what you can learn.

Thanks, as noted, that is the plan.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: trying to track down postgres deaths
От: Angelo
Сообщение: Re: Schema as versioning strategy