Re: What O/S or hardware feature would be useful for databases?

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: What O/S or hardware feature would be useful for databases?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 06/17/07 00:19, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> Anyway... databases are always(?) IO bound.  I'd try to figure out how
>> to make a bigger hose (or more hoses) between the spindles and the mobo.
>
> What I keep waiting for is the drives with flash memory built-in to
> mature.  I would love to get reliable writes that use the drive's cache
> for instant fsyncs, instead of right now where you have to push all that
> to the controller level.

But drive-based flash memory will always be a fixed size, and only
for that drive.

Controller-based cache is expandable and caches the whole RAID set
(besides being battery-backed).  And if you *still* need more cache,
rip out that controller and put in a more expensive one, or
transition to "plain" SCSI cards and a storage controller.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

От: Tom Allison
Сообщение: Re: PHP sucks!! - was: persistent db connections in PHP
От: Pedro Doria Meunier
Сообщение: pgadmin3 1.6.3 problem with geom fields