Re: permanent setting of config variables

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: permanent setting of config variables
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 2021-02-18 at 11:42 +0000, Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 10:52 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2021-02-18 at 09:09 +0000, Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:
> > > I have a few PL/pgSQL functions that use queires like "SHOW company.product INTO _product_name" and "SHOW
company.clusterINTO _cluster_number".

> > > But these are failing because I don't know how to set those values on a permanent basis, or maybe on startup
wouldalso be ok.

> > > I did read the "ALTER DATABASE " and the "set_config(...)" documentation and I experimented a bit with that but
withoutsucces.

> > > So my question would be: how to permanently set user specific config values that would become accessible to the
"SHOW...." SQL comand.

> > _product_name := current_setting('company.product');
> >

> I can not change the code in those functions. I need to make them work as they are.

That makes no sense.  You say that the statements in your functions are failing.
Then you *have* to change the code.

> So I guess I need to set those variables from an administration action rather than from a coding action.

Your question was about SHOW, not SET, so I have lost you here.

> Something like "ALTER SYSTEM SET company.procut TO 'SpaceCraft';" but this returns
>  an error saying "ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "company.procut".
>  If I'm not  mistaken, the "SET ...." command lasts only for the duration of a
>  client session. I need it to be permanent.

These parameters do not exist, so you cannot set them permanently.
That's the way it is.

To turn them into parameters, you would have to write a small extension in C
and load it into the server.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

От: Laurenz Albe
Сообщение: Re: when is pg_stat_archiver.stats_reset modified?
От: Joe Conway
Сообщение: Re: permanent setting of config variables