Re: idea: simple variadic functions in SQL and PL/pgSQL

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: idea: simple variadic functions in SQL and PL/pgSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found easy implementation of variadic functions. It's based on
> adapation FuncnameGetCandidates. When I found variadic function, then
> I should create accurate number of last arguments (diff between
> pronargs and nargs). Variadic function can be signed via flag or via
> some pseudotype. Flag is better - allows variadic arguments of any
> type. In static languages (like SQL or PL/pgSQL) variadic variables
> can ba accessed via array (variadic arguments can be only nonarray).
> This isn't problem in C language, there are arguments available
> directly.

There are a whole slew of questions around this, ISTM.

For example: What will be the type inferred for the array of variadic
args in plpgsql?

If we are going to do this I think we need some discussion on design
before we rush into it.

cheers

andrew