Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> writes:
> I get 19 Mbit/s from gzip (deflate) on my 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo laptop. With
> lzop (LZO) the machine achieves 45 Mbit/s. In both cases only a single
> core is used. With 7zip (LZMA) it only manages 3.1 Mb/s using BOTH cores
> together.

It'd be interesting to know where pg_lzcompress fits in.

> Wire protocol compression support in PostgreSQL would probably still be
> extremely useful for Internet or WAN based clients, though,

Use an ssh tunnel ... get compression *and* encryption, which you surely
should want on a WAN link.

От: Craig Ringer
Сообщение: Re: Question, re: Running enormous batch file from the command line
От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: Performance of views