Re: Add "varchar" to the list in field defs...

От durumdara
Тема Re: Add "varchar" to the list in field defs...
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi!<br /><br /> 2009.07.03. 12:52 keltezéssel, Marcin Stępnicki írta: <blockquote
cite="mid:179149fe0907030352td5c85fdwcb4ca8f25600df9d@mail.gmail.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">2009/7/3 durumdara <a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"href="mailto:durumdara@gmail.com"><durumdara@gmail.com></a>: </pre><blockquote
type="cite"><prewrap="">Hi!

In the field definitions I cannot type varchar, because the other properties
are disabled.
I must type cha*, and if autocompleted, I need to hit tab + space + "v"...

It would be easier if I can use "varchar", and "varchar" is automatically
Good point, but let me take notice that you should probably use "text"
type anyway ;-). If you don't have a very good reason for specifying a
limit, simply don't bother. There is no speed penalty in accessing
"text" fields - in fact you can even gain a few miliseconds on
insert/update, because the limit check is omitted.The same applies to
"char".

And personally I think that "text" looks nicer than "character varying" :-).

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/datatype-character.html">http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/datatype-character.html</a>

Regards,
usedare limited field lengths in DB. Ok, native apps like wrote in Delphi limits the fields in DataSets, but in web I
iftwo of databases (f. e: PGSQL and DBISAM) exchange some datas... In DBISAM the varchar is char that limited to 250
/>

От: Marcin Stępnicki
Сообщение: Re: Add "varchar" to the list in field defs...
От: durumdara
Сообщение: [Suggestions] IDE enhancements...