Re: Could postgres be much cleaner if a future release skipped backward compatibility?

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Could postgres be much cleaner if a future release skipped backward compatibility?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
>  I think the real issue, though, is that answer
> to Ron's original question is "No".  When backward compatibility gets
> in the way of cool new features, that's worth considering.  But
> removing backward compatibility just for the sake of removing backward
> compatibility doesn't really buy us anything.  It's basically doing
> extra work for no benefit and some possible harm.

Well said.

I am singularly unimpressed by arguments for removing backwards
compatibility features to satisfy someone's passion for neatness, or to
force people to conform to how they think their software should be
managed. I occasionally shake my head in amazement at the willingness of
some people to throw other users under the bus.

Upgrading a database installation is hard enough without us gratuitously
making it harder, and we positively don't want to make people stay on
older releases if they don't have to, I should have thought.

cheers

andrew

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Application name patch - v2
От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: Application name patch - v2