Re: BUG #5477: CREATE DOMAIN NOT NULL constraints not always enforced for INSERT with subquery

От Matthew Nourse
Тема Re: BUG #5477: CREATE DOMAIN NOT NULL constraints not always enforced for INSERT with subquery
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Tom Lane  wrote:
>
> < NOT NULL constraints at the domain level suck. Don't use 'em.
>
> +1
>
> As someone who uses domains very heavily, I can attest that the
> semantics of that are very weak.  Whether a domain is nullable
> depends almost entirely on the context of its use, which you can't
> (and shouldn't try to) anticipate on its declaration.

Fair enough, thanks Tom and Kevin for the insights and thanks Bruce for
applying the doco patch, that makes things much clearer.

As NOT NULL on domains doesn't always prevent a value from becoming NULL
(and because it "sucks" :) ) would you consider deprecating the
not-null-on-domains feature and then removing it from some future
version of PostgreSQL?

Thanks again,
Matt

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Re: BUG #5480: Autovacuum interferes with operations (e.g. truncate) on very large databases
От: "Sergey"
Сообщение: BUG #5484: sum() bug