Re: BUG #5585: SSL problems with long COPYs

От Karl Denninger
Тема Re: BUG #5585: SSL problems with long COPYs
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Alex Hunsaker wrote:
On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 00:08, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net> wrote:

Bug reference:      5585
Logged by:          Karl Denninger
Email address:      karl@denninger.net
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.4
Operating system:   FreeBSD 8.0
Details:

This is a copy of a message I posted this evening on the SLONY list.

Synopsis: With SSL ON a large table copy containing a BYTEA field fails
repeatedly a few minutes into the operation.
My guess is its due to the server or client disabling ssl
renegotiation, per the docs:

ssl_renegotiation_limit (integer)
Specifies how much data can flow over an SSL encrypted connection
before renegotiation of the session will take place. Renegotiation of
the session decreases the chance of doing cryptanalysis when large
amounts of data are sent, but it also carries a large performance
penalty. The sum of sent and received traffic is used to check the
limit. If the parameter is set to 0, renegotiation is disabled. The
default is 512MB.

Note: SSL libraries from before November 2009 are insecure when using
SSL renegotiation, due to a vulnerability in the SSL protocol. As a
stop-gap fix for this vulnerability, some vendors also shipped SSL
libraries incapable of doing renegotiation. If any of these libraries
are in use on the client or server, SSL renegotiation should be
disabled.

Id try setting that to 0 in your postgresql.conf and see if it still fails.

I will attempt this but it is at least somewhat unlikely to be the cause, as prior to the failure two tables of over 1GB each did correctly transfer.  They did not, however, have any binary (bytea) fields in them.

-- Karl

От: Alex Hunsaker
Сообщение: Re: BUG #5585: SSL problems with long COPYs
От: Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Сообщение: Re: BUG #5585: SSL problems with long COPYs