Re: CPUs for new databases

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: CPUs for new databases
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Ivan Voras wrote:
> FWIW, yes - once the IO is fast enough or not necessary (e.g. the
> read-mostly database fits in RAM), RAM bandwidth *is* the next
> bottleneck and it really, really can be observed in actual loads.

This is exactly what I've concluded, after many rounds of correlating
memory speed tests with pgbench tests against in-RAM databases.  And
it's the reason why I've written the stream-scaling utility and been
collecting test results from as many systems as possible.  That seemed
to get dismissed upthread as not being the answer the poster was looking
for, but I think you have to get a handle on that part before the rest
of the trivia involved even matters.

I have a bunch more results that have been flowing in that I need to
publish there soon.  Note that there is a bug in stream-scaling where
sufficiently large systems can hit a compiler problem where it reports
"relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against `.bss'".  I have two
of those reports and am working on resolving.

PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support        www.2ndQuadrant.us

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: HashJoin order, hash the large or small table? Postgres likes to hash the big one, why?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: AIX slow buffer reads