Re: DELETE FROM takes forever

От Piotr Czekalski
Тема Re: DELETE FROM takes forever
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Are your IDs (in both tables) a subject of index?
If so, analyze tables and indexes. If not, create an index for each ID -
that may help.
Post an explain plan of the query as well. I guess there is full scan
instead of index scan, thus running over and over 800 rows vs 110mln
rows may take a lot of time.

Hope that helps,

Piotr

W dniu 2011-02-10 18:57, Josh pisze:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to do a DELETE FROM on my large table (about 800 million
> rows) based on the contents of another, moderately large table (about
> 110 million rows). The command I'm using is:
>
> DELETE FROM records WHERE id NOT IN (SELECT id FROM unique_records);
>
> This process ran for about two weeks before I decided to stop it -- it
> was dragging down the DB server. I can understand long-running
> processes, but two weeks seems a bit much even for a big table.
>
> Is this the best way to approach the problem? Is there a better way?
>
> Some background: The server is version 8.3, running nothing but Pg.
> The 'records' table has 'id' as its primary key, and one other index
> on another column. The table is referenced by just about every other
> table in my DB (about 15 other tables) via foreign key constraints,
> which I don't want to break (which is why I'm not just recreating the
> table rather than deleting rows). Most of the dependent tables have ON
> DELETE CASCADE. The 'unique_records' table is a temp table I got via
> something like: SELECT DISTINCT (other_column) id INTO unique_records
> FROM records
>

> Thanks very much!
>
> Josh Leder

"TECHBAZA.PL" Sp. z o.o.
Technologie WEB, eDB&  eCommerce
Oddział Gliwice
ul. Chorzowska 50
44-100 Gliwice
tel. (+4832) 7186081
fax. (+4832) 7003289

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: DELETE FROM takes forever
От: Josh
Сообщение: Re: DELETE FROM takes forever