Lock problem with autovacuum truncating heap

От Jan Wieck
Тема Lock problem with autovacuum truncating heap
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
We have run across a problem with autovacuum that occurs when it can
truncate off a large amount of empty blocks. It behaves different in
version 9.0 than previous versions. Both behaviors are bad.

Consider a relation receives constant inserts/updates that are satisfied
using freespace at the beginning of the heap. Delete operations now have
removed large amounts of tuples at the end of the relation. The
following autovacuum will find a large amount of blocks at the end, that
can be truncated.

Vacuumlazy now takes out an access exclusive lock and scans the relation
*backwards* to find out if concurrent access has created new tuples in
the to be truncated space. Apparently such a backward scan in 8K blocks
isn't really a good access strategy.

Up to 8.4, it simply holds the lock until it is done, which in our case
stalled a production system for 12 minutes! This is obviously bad.

In 9.0, the autovacuum process will be aborted about 1 second after
another transaction starts waiting for a lock. The result is that even a
simple INSERT will take 1 second. The autovacuum restarts shortly after
and somehow gets to a point, where it will cause this 1 second hiccup
ever 2 minutes. This is slightly better but still far from optimal in a
world, where transaction response times are measured in milliseconds.

My current idea for a fix is to modify lazy_truncate_heap(). It does
acquire and release the exclusive lock, so it should be possible to do
this in smaller chunks, releasing and reacquiring the lock so that
client transactions can get their work done as well. At the same time I
would change count_nondeletable_pages() so that it uses a forward scan
direction (if that leads to a speedup).

Jan

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: WIP: Allow SQL-language functions to reference parameters by parameter name
От: Greg Stark
Сообщение: Re: 9.1 Beta