Re: partition query on multiple cores

От Shaun Thomas
Тема Re: partition query on multiple cores
Дата
Re: partition query on multiple cores  (Mason S <masonlists@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
On 05/10/2011 10:06 AM, Maciek Sakrejda wrote:

>> I have 8-core server, I wanted to ask whether a query can be divided for
>> multiple processors or cores, if it could be what to do in postgresql
>
> No, at this time (and for the foreseeable future), a single query will
> run on a single core.

It can *kinda* be done. Take a look at GridSQL. It's really good for
splitting up reporting-like queries that benefit from parallel access of
large tables. It's not exactly Hadoop, but I ran a test on a single
system with two separate instances of PostgreSQL, and a single query
over those two nodes cut execution time in half.

It's meant for server parallelism, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend
splitting your data up across nodes on the same server. But it seems to
deliver as promised when used in the right circumstances.

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse | 141 W. Jackson Blvd. | Suite 800 | Chicago IL, 60604

See  http://www.peak6.com/email_disclaimer.php
for terms and conditions related to this email

От: Maciek Sakrejda
Сообщение: Re: partition query on multiple cores
От: Tory M Blue
Сообщение: Question processor speed differences.