Re: column type for pdf file

От Julien Cigar
Тема Re: column type for pdf file
Дата
Re: column type for pdf file  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
Список pgsql-sql
On 05/18/2011 23:00, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:46:23PM +0200, Julien Cigar wrote:
>
>> Unless you've good reasons to do so it's best to store the file on
>> the file system
> Why ?
>
> If you suggest reasons are needed for storing the PDF in the
> database I'd like to know the reasons for *not* doing so.

It increases the load, consume connections, but the biggest drawback is
probably the memory consumption ..

IMHO storing binary data in a database is almost always a bad idea .. it
could be OK to store things like avatars, small icons, etc, but
certainly not to store files of several MB ... file systems are done for
that !

> Karsten

Вложения