Re: WIP: Fast GiST index build

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: WIP: Fast GiST index build
Дата
Re: WIP: Fast GiST index build  (Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 06.06.2011 10:42, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 03.06.2011 14:02, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
>> Hackers,
>>
>> WIP patch of fast GiST index build is attached. Code is dirty and
>> comments
>> are lacking, but it works. Now it is ready for first benchmarks, which
>> should prove efficiency of selected technique. It's time to compare fast
>> GiST index build with repeat insert build on large enough datasets
>> (datasets
>> which don't fit to cache). There are following aims of testing:
>> 1) Measure acceleration of index build.
>> 2) Measure change in index quality.
>> I'm going to do first testing using synthetic datasets. Everybody who
>> have
>> interesting real-life datasets for testing are welcome.
>
> I ran another test with a simple table generated with:
>
> CREATE TABLE pointtest (p point);
> INSERT INTO pointtest SELECT point(random(), random()) FROM
> generate_series(1,50000000);
>
> Generating a gist index with:
>
> CREATE INDEX i_pointtest ON pointtest USING gist (p);
>
> took about 15 hours without the patch, and 2 hours with it. That's quite
> dramatic.

Oops, that was a rounding error, sorry. The run took about 2.7 hours
with the patch, which of course should be rounded to 3 hours, not 2.
Anyway, it is still a very impressive improvement.

I'm glad you could get the patch ready for benchmarking this quickly.
Now you just need to get the patch into shape so that it can be
committed. That is always the more time-consuming part, so I'm glad you
have plenty of time left for it.

Could you please create a TODO list on the wiki page, listing all the
missing features, known bugs etc. that will need to be fixed? That'll
make it easier to see how much work there is left. It'll also help
anyone looking at the patch to know which issues are known issues.

Meanwhile, it would still be very valuable if others could test this
with different workloads. And Alexander, it would be good if at some
point you could write some benchmark scripts too, and put them on the
wiki page, just to see what kind of workloads have been taken into
consideration and tested already. Do you think there's some worst-case
data distributions where this algorithm would perform particularly badly?

От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: DOMAINs and CASTs