Re: Disable OpenSSL compression

От Jeroen Vermeulen
Тема Re: Disable OpenSSL compression
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2011-11-08 22:59, Albe Laurenz wrote:

> In addition to the oprofile data I collected three times:
> - the duration as shown in the server log
> - the duration as shown by \timing
> - the duration of the psql command as measured by "time"

[...]

> I think this makes a good case for disabling compression.

It's a few data points, but is it enough to make a good case?  As I
understand it, compression can save time not only on transport but also
on the amount of data that needs to go through encryption -- probably
depending on choice of cypher, hardware support, machine word width,
compilation details etc.  Would it make sense to run a wider experiment,
e.g. in the buld farm?

Another reason why I believe compression is often used with encryption
is to maximize information content per byte of data: harder to guess,
harder to crack.  Would that matter?

Jeroen

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: plpython extension control files installation
От: "Dickson S. Guedes"
Сообщение: Re: proposal: psql concise mode