installing on user account

От Rodolfo Borges
Тема installing on user account
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I don't have root access here at work, and I wanted to run a jabber
server to communicate with other folks here.

I choose PostgreSQL as db backend.
It is already installed, but it's not starting on boot. I don't have
the password for the postgres user, so I'm running the postmaster
daemon as my own user.

$export PGDATA=$HOME/usr/var/postgres
$initdb
these went ok. Then I started following the jabberd2 installation
instructions from here:
http://jabberd.jabberstudio.org/2/docs/section04_5.html

They said "createdb -U postgres -E UNICODE jabberd2", I ran "createdb
-E UNICODE jabberd2" instead.
Then "createuser -P -U postgres jabberd2", I ran "createuser -P jabberd2".
No problem so far.

Next step would be to run psql to issue a \i command to setup the
jabberd2 database.
They said "psql -U jabberd2 jabberd2", but I received the following error:

$psql -U jabberd2 jabberd2
psql: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "jabberd2"

I also tried appending a -W argument to that command.
It asked for the password, I gave the password from the createuser
command, and the same error ocurred.

If I enter with my own user (psql jabberd2), and issue a \du, I see:
 User name | User ID |         Attributes
-----------+---------+----------------------------
 jabberd2  |     100 |
 nttx      |       1 | superuser, create database
(2 rows)

My setup:
$postgres --version
postgres (PostgreSQL) 7.3.6-RH
$cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3 (Taroon Update 2)
$uname -a
Linux 2.4.21-15.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Apr 22 00:09:01 EDT 2004 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any ideas?

Well, I have one: I'll to install PostgreSQL on my account, and run
that instead.

--
Rodolfo Borges

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Question about Shared memory and PG
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Background writer memory bloat?