.pgpass and root: a problem

От Shaun Thomas
Тема .pgpass and root: a problem
Дата
Re: .pgpass and root: a problem  (Scott Mead <scottm@openscg.com>)
Re: .pgpass and root: a problem  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-general
Hey folks,

We're wanting to implement a more secure password policy, and so have
considered switching to LDAP/Active Directory for passwords. Normally,
this would be fine, but for two things:

1. Tons of our devs use .pgpass files to connect everywhere.
2. Several devs have root access to various environments.

So, by switching from database-stored passwords to LDAP, we open a
security problem that currently only affects the database, to
developers' personal LDAP password, which is the key to every service
and machine they use in the company.

Unfortunately I can't see any way around this at all. Ident won't really
work on remote systems, .pgpass isn't encrypted, and you can't use
encrypted/hashed password entries either.

I agree that we should probably have our root access much more locked
down than it is, but it's still a valid problem. I don't think I'd even
want a restricted set of root users able to see my LDAP password in
plain text.

Has anyone put thought into combining LDAP and .pgpass, or has it simply
been abandoned every time the issue has presented itself?

Thanks in advance!

--
Shaun Thomas
312-676-8870

От: Alban Hertroys
Сообщение: Re: [BUGS] BUG #7850: left outer join is not working or I didn't contruct the query properly
От: Moshe Jacobson
Сообщение: Re: Passing dynamic parameters to a table-returning function