Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Greg, all,

> There's a deep and not obvious disconnect
> between the goals of each type of packaging.  I read "We should not
> transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA" as being like "we
> shouldn't release the apple juice until we have the perfect oranges".
> All important things, but they're not the same target.

So that seems like we should have, and continue to have to the limit of
our resources, both kinds of packaging.  Something simplified for the
most common case (current postgres/current OS release) and something
complete for the professional sysadmins.

The reason I started this thread in the first place was that I added the
PPA to a server and got a message, on the server, that the PPA was being
deprecated *very soon* in favor of apt.postgresql.org.  I'd have nothing
to complain about apt.postgresql.org if you weren't taking my PPA away.

So possibly the "fix" for this is just to stop the deprecation message
in the PPA until more of the development path (including some automation
scripts) of apt.postgresql.org is complete.  Depending on Martin's time
availability, of course.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Greg Smith
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA