Re: High CPU usage / load average after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: High CPU usage / load average after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 02/19/2013 07:15 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> ... then you'll see checkpoint "stalls" and spread checkpoint will
>> actually make them worse by making the stalls longer.
>
> Wait, if they're spread enough then there won't be a checkpoint, so to
> speak.  Are you saying that spreading them out means that they still
> kind of pile up, even with say a completion target of 1.0 etc?

I'm saying that spreading them makes things worse, because they get
intermixed with the fsyncs for the WAL and causes commits to stall.  I
tried setting checkpoint_completion_target = 0.0 and throughput got
about 10% better.

I'm beginning to think that checkpoint_completion_target should be 0.0,
by default.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

От: Scott Marlowe
Сообщение: Re: High CPU usage / load average after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04
От: Josh Berkus
Сообщение: Re: High CPU usage / load average after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04