Re: Reference function arguments by name

От Erwin Brandstetter
Тема Re: Reference function arguments by name
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

On 11.05.2013 10:13, Sian Mountbatten wrote:
On 2013-05-09 21:46, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
Hi!

The manual says here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-createfunction.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-createfunction.html

argname

The name of an argument. Some languages (currently only PL/pgSQL) let you use the name in the function body. For other languages the name of an input argument is just extra documentation, so far as the function itself is concerned; but you can use input argument names when calling a function to improve readability (see Section 4.3). In any case, the name of an output argument is significant, because it defines the column name in the result row type. (If you omit the name for an output argument, the system will choose a default column name.)

This has changed in version 9.2. SQL functions can reference the name. Ergo:

s /(currently only PL/pgSQL) / (currently only PL/pgSQL and SQL)

I tested it and it's correctly documented here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/xfunc-sql.html#XFUNC-SQL-FUNCTION-ARGUMENTS

> Arguments of a SQL function can be referenced in the function body using either names or numbers.

Regards
Erwin
It looks strongly that you people are of the opinion that "the code documents
itself". That is a myth produced by lazy software developers who cannot document
their code properly. You ought to be using Cweb for C code. Have a look at
the code for SQLite to see how comments in C can be used to provide decent
documentation

Fortunately, I do not use C. I prefer a HIGH-level language :-)

This reply seems unrelated.

Regards
Erwin

От: Sian Mountbatten
Сообщение: Re: Reference function arguments by name
От: Sian Mountbatten
Сообщение: Re: Reference function arguments by name