Re: BUG #8191: Wrong bit conversion

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: BUG #8191: Wrong bit conversion
Дата
Re: BUG #8191: Wrong bit conversion  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
Список pgsql-bugs
On 01/06/13 12:29, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 5/31/2013 4:29 PM, Gerald Luger wrote:
>> Shouldn't I expect all results to be 000...0001?
>>
>> Otherwise it would be
>> 1 != 1?
>
> SQL's BIT type is big endian, a hangover from its IBM mainframe heritage.

I don't think it has anything to do with byte sex (I know of 3 ways to
store integers in memory, and I suspect there are more !).

Don't confuse how things are displayed with how they are stored in memory.

Just that
1 = two to the power of zero
so it seems logical to start numbering the bits to represent the powers
of 2.

Cheers,
Gavin

От: John R Pierce
Сообщение: Re: BUG #8191: Wrong bit conversion
От: Gavin Flower
Сообщение: Re: BUG #8191: Wrong bit conversion