Re: reply-to set

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: reply-to set
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Alvaro,

> No, bounces (should) go to the Sender address, not the reply-to address;
> and the Sender is still set to the mj2 address which passes it to the
> bounce processor and removes subscribers that bounce too much.
>
> I haven't ever posted to pgsql-announce so I don't know how many bounces
> do they get, but I would like to know.  Really, they shouldn't get ANY
> bounce at all; and if they do, they should notify the mj2 admin (me)
> about them.

There are always bad mail hosts who send any bounce message to FROM (or
REPLY-TO) instead of any other address.  For example, we've regexed out
Brazillian host UOL.com from the PostgreSQL mailing lists because (a)
they require manual sender confirmation, and (b) the confirmation
message goes to the FROM address, not SENDER or REPLY-TO.

Right now, though, it's only 10-20 per annnouncement, which is
tolerable.  Heck, it's generally my confirmation that the annoucement
went out.

> That already works.  Invalid subscribers have been removed in dozens
> since I fixed the list config some weeks ago.  (Several hundred
> invalid addresses were removed from pgsql-announce the first time the
> threshold was crossed ... about 4 weeks ago, I think.)

Oh, great!

In general, I think reply-to for announce should be set to a black hole
address (e.g. do-not-reply@postgresql.org).  There's never a good reason
to reply to an -announce message.

--
Josh Berkus