Re: Standalone Hot Backups

От Christian Ullrich
Тема Re: Standalone Hot Backups
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
* Sergey Arlashin wrote:

> In section 'Making a Base Backup Using the Low Level API' is said that
> once one has WAL archiving set up it is ok to omit pg_xlog folder from
> the backup dump:
>
>> "You can, however, omit from the backup dump the files within the
>> cluster's pg_xlog/ subdirectory. This slight adjustment is worthwhile

> But in section related to making standalone hot backups there is no
> information about it.
>
> There is only the following set of commands:
[...]
> I only can see that the backup folder is being archived with pg_xlog.
>
> So, the question is - is it ok to omit pg_xlog folder from backup dump
> while making standalone hot backups or not ?

I'm not sure why the example does not exclude pg_xlog; IMHO it should.
Perhaps the author of the example was using the setup mentioned in
section 24.3.3, where pg_xlog is a symbolic link elsewhere? Restoring a
backup created using that procedure will never need WAL files that are
not in the (transient) archive directory.

If your PostgreSQL version includes pg_basebackup, you should use it
rather than the low-level API. If you include the -X option, you will
get a backup that you can use as "standalone" as well as for
point-in-time recovery, and if you use "plain" mode as well as -X, you
can even use the backup directory as PGDATA directly: pg_basebackup will
put the required WAL files into pg_xlog in the backup, so there is no
need even for a recovery.conf file. Starting the database with that
directory (and no recovery.conf) will only perform crash recovery. If
you leave the -X option out, you can only do PITR, for which you need a
WAL archive.

It is interesting to follow the example's logic and see why it works:

In the example, more WAL is archived than strictly necessary to restore
the backup: Some WAL files will appear twice in the backup, once in
pg_xlog, once in the "archive" directory. The first tar command will
copy them (in an unusable intermediate state) from pg_xlog.
pg_stop_backup() will archive all files used during the backup, and the
second tar command will then append the "archive" to the backup. When
restoring from the backup, you must have a recovery.conf file with a
restore_command that will retrieve files from the (restored) archive.

The important point is that PostgreSQL will prefer files from the
archive to those in pg_xlog. Therefore, it will use the finished
versions and ignore the files copied from pg_xlog.

--
Christian

От: Richard Poole
Сообщение: Re: Standalone Hot Backups
От: Patrick Dung
Сообщение: several questions about pg_dumpall, pg_start_backup, pg_basebackup and WAL