Re: Slow index scan on B-Tree index over timestamp field

От Elliot
Тема Re: Slow index scan on B-Tree index over timestamp field
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 2013-11-04 13:56, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Caio Casimiro <casimiro.listas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have one query running at ~ 7 seconds and I would like to know
>> if it's possible to make it run faster, once this query runs lots
>> of time in my experiment.
>>     Buffers: shared hit=2390 read=32778
>> Total runtime: 24066.145 ms
>> effective_cache_size = 2GB
>> it seems the problem is with the 'tweet' table.
> The EXPLAIN ANALYZE output shows it taking 24 seconds, 8.9 seconds
> of which is in accessing the tweet_topic table and 15.1 seconds in
> accessing the tweet table.  It looks like you have a painfully low
> cache hit ratio.  The plan looks reasonable to me; it looks like
> you need more RAM to cache data if you want better speed.
>
> --
> Kevin Grittner
> EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

There's also an index scan that turns up 1.8 million rows, but only
1,600 of them wind up in the final output. I'd start with restating the
"user_id in (select followed_id ...)" as a join against the relationship
table. The planner is filtering first on the tweet time, but that
doesn't reduce the set of tweets down very well. Assuming that the user
being looked up doesn't follow a large proportion of other users, I'd
figure that reducing the set first by followed users should be quicker.

От: Kevin Grittner
Сообщение: Re: Slow index scan on B-Tree index over timestamp field
От: Jeff Janes
Сообщение: Re: Slow index scan on B-Tree index over timestamp field