Re: buildfarm animals and 'snapshot too old'

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: buildfarm animals and 'snapshot too old'
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/20/2014 03:59 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
> On 21/05/14 01:42, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan<andrew@dunslane.net>  writes:
>>> Regarding clock skew, I think we can do better then what you suggest.
>>> The web transaction code in the client adds its own timestamp just
>>> before running the web transaction. It would be quite reasonable to
>>> reject reports from machines with skewed clocks based on this value. I'm
>>> not sure what a reasonable skew might be. Somewhere in the range of 5 to
>>> 15 minutes seems reasonable.
>> Rather than reject, why not take the result and adjust the claimed start
>> timestamp by the difference between the web transaction timestamp and the
>> buildfarm server's time?
>>

> I think, that if possible, any such adjustment should be noted along
> with the original time, so that:
>
>  1. the timing issue can be remedied
>  2. it is possible to link the output to any messages in the machines
>     log etc.

I don't see how that's going to help anyone. Major clock skew is a sign
of client misconfiguration. And where would we note this adjustment, and
who would do anything about it?

We seem to be engaging in a sort of PoohBearism* here. More information
is not always better.

cheers

andrew

*    Rabbit: Would you like *condensed milk*, or *honey* on your bread?    Winnie the Pooh: Both. But never mind the
bread,please.

От: Gavin Flower
Сообщение: Re: buildfarm animals and 'snapshot too old'
От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: jsonb failed assertions