Re: querying with index on jsonb slower than standard column. Why?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: querying with index on jsonb slower than standard column. Why?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On 12/07/2014 05:05 PM, Tim Dudgeon wrote:

> On 07/12/2014 21:53, Adrian Klaver wrote:

>>> If so them I'm missing it.
>>> The index created is not a gin index. Its a standard btree index on the
>>> data extracted from the json. So the indexes on the standard columns and
>>> the ones on the 'fields' extracted from the json seem to be equivalent.
>>> But perform differently.
>>
>> Down into the section there is this:
>>
>> "jsonb also supports btree and hash indexes. These are usually useful
>> only if it's important to check equality of complete JSON documents.
>> The btree ordering for jsonb datums is seldom of great interest, but
>> for completeness it is:
>>
>> Object > Array > Boolean > Number > String > Null
>>
>> Object with n pairs > object with n - 1 pairs
>>
>> Array with n elements > array with n - 1 elements
>>
>> Objects with equal numbers of pairs are compared in the order:
>>
>> key-1, value-1, key-2 ...
>>
>> Note that object keys are compared in their storage order; in
>> particular, since shorter keys are stored before longer keys, this can
>> lead to results that might be unintuitive, such as:
>>
>> { "aa": 1, "c": 1} > {"b": 1, "d": 1}
>>
>> Similarly, arrays with equal numbers of elements are compared in the
>> order:
>>
>> element-1, element-2 ...
>>
>> Primitive JSON values are compared using the same comparison rules as
>> for the underlying PostgreSQL data type. Strings are compared using
>> the default database collation.
>> "
>>
>> As I understand it to get useful indexing into the jsonb
>> datum(document) you need to use the GIN indexes.
>
> Yes, but if my understanding is correct I'm not indexing the JSON, I'm
> indexing the PostgreSQL float type extracted from a field of the JSON,
> and indexing using a btree index:
>
> create index idx_data_json_assay2_ic50 on json_test (((data ->>
> 'assay2_ic50')::float));
>
> The data ->> 'assay2_ic50' bit extracts the value from the JSON as text,

Which is where I would say your slow down happens. I have not spent a
lot of time jsonb as I have been waiting on the dust to settle from the
recent big changes, so my empirical evidence is lacking.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Tim Dudgeon
Сообщение: Re: querying with index on jsonb slower than standard column. Why?
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: querying with index on jsonb slower than standard column. Why?