Re: Question about lazy_space_alloc() / linux over-commit

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Question about lazy_space_alloc() / linux over-commit
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 3/7/15 4:49 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2015-03-05 15:28:12 -0600, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> I was thinking the simpler route of just repalloc'ing... the memcpy would
>> suck, but much less so than the extra index pass. 64M gets us 11M tuples,
>> which probably isn't very common.
>
> That has the chance of considerably increasing the peak memory usage
> though, as you obviously need both the old and new allocation during the
> repalloc().
>
> And in contrast to the unused memory at the tail of the array, which
> will usually not be actually allocated by the OS at all, this is memory
> that's actually read/written respectively.

That leaves me wondering why we bother with dynamic resizing in other
areas (like sorts, for example) then? Why not just palloc work_mem and
be done with it? What makes those cases different?

> I've to say, I'm rather unconvinced that it's worth changing stuff
> around here. If overcommit is enabled, vacuum won't fail unless the
> memory is actually used (=> no problem). If overcommit is disabled and
> you get memory allocations, you're probably already running awfully
> close to the maximum of your configuration and you're better off
> adjusting it.  I'm not aware of any field complaints about this and thus
> I'm not sure it's worth fiddling with this.

Perhaps; Noah seems to be the one one who's seen this.