Re: Configurable FP_LOCK_SLOTS_PER_BACKEND

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Configurable FP_LOCK_SLOTS_PER_BACKEND
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 8/7/23 19:05, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 7, 2023 at 6:51 AM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> The regression appears to be consistently ~3%, and v2 aimed to improve
>> that - at least for the case with just 100 rows. It even gains ~5% in a
>> couple cases. It's however a bit strange v2 doesn't really help the two
>> larger cases.
>
> To me, that's an absolutely monumental regression for a change like
> this. Sure, lots of people have partitioned tables. But also, lots of
> people don't. Penalizing very simple queries by 2-3% seems completely
> over the top to me. I can't help wondering whether there's actually
> something wrong with the test, or the coding, because that seems huge
> to me.

I'm the first to admit the coding (in my patches) is far from perfect,
and this may easily be a consequence of that. My motivation was to get
some quick measurements for the "bad case".

> I would also argue that the results are actually not that great,
> because once you get past 64 partitions you're right back where you
> started, or maybe worse off. To me, there's nothing magical about
> cases between 16 and 64 relations that makes them deserve special
> treatment - plenty of people are going to want to use hundreds of
> partitions, and even if you only use a few dozen, this isn't going to
> help as soon as you join two or three partitioned tables, and I
> suspect it hurts whenever it doesn't help.

That's true, but doesn't that apply to any cache that can overflow? You
could make the same argument about the default value of 16 slots - why
not to have just 8?

FWIW I wasn't really suggesting we should increase the value to 64, I
was just trying to get a better idea of the costs at play (fast-path
cache maintenance and regular locking).

> I think we need a design that scales better. I don't really know what
> that would look like, exactly, but your idea of a hybrid approach
> seems like it might be worth further consideration. We don't have to
> store an infinite number of fast-path locks in an array that we search
> linearly, and it might be better that if we moved to some other
> approach we could avoid some of the regression. You mentioned a hash
> table; a partially associative cache might also be worth considering,
> like having an array of 1k slots but dividing it logically into 128
> bins of 16 slots each and only allowing an OID to be recorded in the
> bin whose low 7 bits match the low 7 bits of the OID.

Yes, I agree. I don't know if this particular design would be the right
one (1000 elements seems a bit too much for something included right in
PGPROC). But yeah, something that flips from linear search to something
else would be reasonable.

> But maybe first we need to understand where all the CPU cycles are
> going, because maybe that's optimizing completely the wrong thing and,
> again, it seems like an awfully large hit.

Right. We're mostly just guessing what the issue is.

> Of course, another thing we could do is try to improve the main lock
> manager somehow. I confess that I don't have a great idea for that at
> the moment, but the current locking scheme there is from a very, very
> long time ago and clearly wasn't designed with modern hardware in
> mind.

No idea, but I'd bet some of the trade offs may need re-evaluation.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Using defines for protocol characters
От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: Configurable FP_LOCK_SLOTS_PER_BACKEND