Re: Make primnodes.h gender neutral

От Chapman Flack
Тема Re: Make primnodes.h gender neutral
Дата
Re: Make primnodes.h gender neutral  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 03/17/16 17:29, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
>> Sexist language is a distraction
>> for some, in-your-face non-sexism (such as made-up pronouns) is a
>> distraction for others, bad or awkward grammar is a distraction for yet
>> others.  It's not that easy to write prose that manages not to call
>> attention to itself in any of these ways.  But that's what we need to
>> do, and s/xxx/yyy/g editing that's only thinking about one of these
>> concerns is unlikely to get us there.
>
> +1

^^^ I would have said that if I'd been fast enough.

> A grep with a quick skim of the results to exclude references to
> particular people who are mentioned by name and then referred to
> with a pronoun (which I assume we can leave alone), suggest there
> are about 70 lines in the 1346667 line C code base that need work.
>
> Any word-smiths out there who want to volunteer to sort this out?

So that must be N affected files for some N <= 70 ...

what would you think of starting a wiki page with those N filenames
(so nobody has to repeat your grepping/skimming effort), and volunteers
can claim a file or five, marking them taken on that page, and wordsmith
away?

On 03/17/16 17:17, Gavin Flower wrote:
> Wanna bet? There is a very loud movement about this.

For those of us who are outside of the twitterverse sort of on purpose,
are there a few representative links you could post? Maybe this is such
fresh breaking news Google hasn't spidered it yet, but I didn't find
any reference to the primnodes language when I looked, and I really am
curious to see just exactly what kind of issue is being made around it....

-Chap

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: Make primnodes.h gender neutral
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Improve error handling in pltcl