Re: [PROPOSAL] Add SCTP network protocol to postgresql backend and frontend

От Andreas Karlsson
Тема Re: [PROPOSAL] Add SCTP network protocol to postgresql backend and frontend
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 03/23/2016 02:13 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andreas Karlsson escribió:
>> On 03/23/2016 01:55 PM, Eduardo Morras wrote:
>>> Benefits:
>>>
>>> Dynamic multihoming, modifiable at run time, don't need aggregate links at OS level or shutdown servers/clients for
ahardware or topology network change.

>>> Message oriented connection.
>>> Message reliability.
>>> Inmune to SYN floods that affect tcp.
>>> Assimetric multihoming, a client with 4 links(3x 1GbEth + wifi) can connect to a server with 1 link (10GbEth).
>>> Metadata connection messages.
>>
>> While SCTP has some nice advantages in general (I think it is a pity it is
>> not used more) I wonder how well these benefits translate into the database
>> space. Many databases are run either in a controlled server environment with
>> no direct access from the Internet, or locally on the same machine as the
>> application. In those environments you generally do not have to worry about
>> SYN floods or asymmetric links.
>
> That might or might not be the most common cases, but replication across
> the ocean and similar long-range setups are a reality today and their use
> will only increase.

Agreed. When I reread my message I realized that I implied things I did
not mean. People run databases today in the cloud and, as you said, long
distance replication will only get more common. What I am actually
curious about is how the advantages of SCTP translate into the database
space.

> I wonder about message ordering.  Is it possible to get messages out of
> order in SCTP?  Say if you have an ordered resultset stream from the
> server, it would be disastrous to get the data messages out of order.

Message ordering is an optional feature in SCTP, so if you need message
ordering you can get it.

Andreas

От: "A student from china"
Сообщение: Add something in struct PGPROC
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Proposal: "Causal reads" mode for load balancing reads without stale data