Re: trying again to get incremental backup

От David Steele
Тема Re: trying again to get incremental backup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 10/19/23 16:00, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2023 at 3:18 PM David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
>> 0001 looks pretty good to me. The only thing I find a little troublesome
>> is the repeated construction of file names with/without segment numbers
>> in ResetUnloggedRelationsInDbspaceDir(), .e.g.:
>>
>> +                       if (segno == 0)
>> +                               snprintf(dstpath, sizeof(dstpath), "%s/%u",
>> +                                                dbspacedirname, relNumber);
>> +                       else
>> +                               snprintf(dstpath, sizeof(dstpath), "%s/%u.%u",
>> +                                                dbspacedirname, relNumber, segno);
>>

>> If this happened three times I'd definitely want a helper function, but
>> even with two I think it would be a bit nicer.
>
> Personally I think that would make the code harder to read rather than
> easier. I agree that repeating code isn't great, but this is a
> relatively brief idiom and pretty self-explanatory. If other people
> agree with you I can change it, but to me it's not an improvement.

Then I'm fine with it as is.

>> 0002 is definitely a good idea. FWIW pgBackRest does this conversion but
>> also errors if it does not succeed. We have never seen a report of this
>> error happening in the wild, so I think it must be pretty rare if it
>> does happen.
>
> Cool, but ... how about the main patch set? It's nice to get some of
> these refactoring bits and pieces out of the way, but if I spend the
> effort to work out what I think are the right answers to the remaining
> design questions for the main patch set and then find out after I've
> done all that that you have massive objections, I'm going to be
> annoyed. I've been trying to get this feature into PostgreSQL for
> years, and if I don't succeed this time, I want the reason to be
> something better than "well, I didn't find out that David disliked X
> until five minutes before I was planning to type 'git push'."

I simply have not had time to look at the main patch set in any detail.

> I'm not really concerned about detailed bug-hunting in the main
> patches just yet. The time for that will come. But if you have views
> on how to resolve the design questions that I mentioned in a couple of
> emails back, or intend to advocate vigorously against the whole
> concept for some reason, let's try to sort that out sooner rather than
> later.

In my view this feature puts the cart way before the horse. I'd think
higher priority features might be parallelism, a backup repository,
expiration management, archiving, or maybe even a restore command.

It seems the only goal here is to make pg_basebackup a tool for external
backup software to use, which might be OK, but I don't believe this
feature really advances pg_basebackup as a usable piece of stand-alone
software. If people really think that start/stop backup is too
complicated an interface how are they supposed to track page
incrementals and get them to a place where pg_combinebackup can put them
backup together? If automation is required to use this feature,
shouldn't pg_basebackup implement that automation?

I have plenty of thoughts about the implementation as well, but I have a
lot on my plate right now and I don't have time to get into it.

I don't plan to stand in your way on this feature. I'm reviewing what
patches I can out of courtesy and to be sure that nothing adjacent to
your work is being affected. My apologies if my reviews are not meeting
your expectations, but I am contributing as my time constraints allow.

Regards,
-David

От: "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)"
Сообщение: RE: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node
От: "Tristan Partin"
Сообщение: Re: controlling meson's parallelism (and some whining)