Re: PGUSER and initdb

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: PGUSER and initdb
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/10/19 5:21 AM, Олег Самойлов wrote:
> PGUSER doesn't work with initdb and pg_ctl initdb. Lets explain, where this can be important. For instance in MacOS
themost convenient way to manage PostgresQL is homebrew.

> To install PostgresQL:
>
> brew install postgresql
>
> To upgrade:
>
> brew upgrade postgresql
>
> this will upgrade soft and to upgrade DB
>
> brew postgresql-upgrade-database
>
> The later command do: install previous version of PostgresQL, move postgresql dir to postgesql.old, run pg_upgrade
andso on. Convenient.

> But this command don't have option to define name of superuser. The only variant to set name off superuser is to use
PGUSERenvironment variable. But PGUSER understand only pg_upgrade, but not initdb.

Hmm:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/app-initdb.html
"
-U username
--username=username

     Selects the user name of the database superuser. This defaults to
the name of the effective user running initdb. It is really not
important what the superuser's name is, but one might choose to keep the
customary name postgres, even if the operating system user's name is
different.

This utility, like most other PostgreSQL utilities, also uses the
environment variables supported by libpq (see Section 33.14).
"

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/libpq-envars.html
"
PGUSER behaves the same as the user connection parameter.
"

Seems to me this is something that you need to bring up with the Brew
maintainers.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com