Re: Should 'sum(mvf)' read 'sum(mcv)'...?

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: Should 'sum(mvf)' read 'sum(mcv)'...?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
> On 22 Aug 2022, at 14:58, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 11:02:04PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
>>> It appears the above sentence is referring to the "(1 - sum(mvf))" portion
>>> of the formula, however I am not sure what "mvf" is referring to
>>> there...shouldn't it be "(1 - sum(mcv))" in order to match what the
>>> explanatory sentence is saying?
>
>> It should be mcf, ie. Most Common Frequencies.  It looks like a very old typo
>> that survived until now.
>
> I don't think it's a typo exactly, but an odd abbreviation for "Most
> common Values' Frequencies".  (Summing the MCVs themselves isn't
> sensible; they might not even be numeric.)
>
> I'd vote for replacing mvf in both places with something a bit more
> spelled-out, perhaps "mcv_freqs".

I was inclined to spell it out as mcv_frequencies but we use xxx_freqs
elsewhere on the same page so keeping it consistent seems better.  The attached
does this as well as adding mcf/mcv as acronyms as previously mentioned (since
they are both tagged as <acronym>).

--
Daniel Gustafsson

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Certificate authentication docs in multiple places
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Should 'sum(mvf)' read 'sum(mcv)'...?