Re: Database Selection

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Database Selection
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Shane Ambler <pgsql@007Marketing.com> writes:
> If you look at the history of PostgreSQL you will find that the development
> at Berkley started with Ingres and after the code was used to start
> Relational Technologies/Ingres Corporation the Postgres project was born.
> A later version of Postgres was used by Illustra Information Technologies
> which later merged into Informix and is now owned by IBM.
> This gives you some some indication of the quality - two commercial
> databases have been started with PostgreSQL code.

Actually that's a misstatement --- AFAIK, Stonebraker and crew started
from scratch when they wrote Postgres, because they wanted to experiment
with a new system design based on what they'd learned while writing
Ingres.  So there's no code shared between Ingres and Postgres, and
probably not much design commonality either, other than having sprung
from largely the same group of people.

Illustra/Informix, on the other hand, is indeed a fork of Postgres.
I don't know how similar that code base now is to ours, though.  There's
been enough time for pretty substantial divergence on both sides of the
fork.

От: "Nicolas Barbier"
Сообщение: Re: Postgreql 8.0.3 temporary Table Strange behaviour
От: Shane Ambler
Сообщение: Re: Database Selection