Re: top posting

От John D. Burger
Тема Re: top posting
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thomas Hart wrote:

> I agree. Obviously there is convention, and I will post in the
> style generally accepted in the list, but to me it always made more
> sense to top post. If you're keeping up on the conversation, then
> the relevant information is right there, and if you weren't, it's
> not that difficult to go through and catch up (it's not like the
> lines are in reverse order, or the words spelled backwards or
> something).

You write "conversation" as if every message is written as a measured
response to all of the previous messages, with an absolute order
defined by when the messages arrive in my inbox, like we're all
carefully taking turns.  This is simply not true, especially when a
thread has many participants, with many messages flying past each
other - effectively, there are =many= interwoven conversations going
on.  Quoting the text to which you are responding is often the only
way to provide the necessary specific context for your comments.

As an illustration, which helps you understand the preceding
paragraph better, the extract above, or the mess below?

- John D. Burger
   MITRE

От: Richard Huxton
Сообщение: Re: POSIX and libpq
От: Marc Munro
Сообщение: Oddity in column specifications for table creation