Re: Remove AIX Support (was: Re: Relation bulk write facility)

От Michael Banck
Тема Re: Remove AIX Support (was: Re: Relation bulk write facility)
Дата
Re: Remove AIX Support (was: Re: Relation bulk write facility)  (Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 12:57:31AM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2024-02-29 09:13:04 +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> > The commit message says there is not a lot of user demand and that might
> > be right, but contrary to other fringe OSes that got removed like HPPA
> > or Irix, I believe Postgres on AIX is still used in production and if
> > so, probably in a mission-critical manner at some old-school
> > institutions (in fact, one of our customers does just that) and not as a
> > thought-experiment. It is probably well-known among Postgres hackers
> > that AIX support is problematic/a burden, but the current users might
> > not be aware of this.
>
> Then these users should have paid somebody to actually do maintenance work on
> the AIX support,o it doesn't regularly stand in the way of implementing
> various things.

Right, absolutely.

But: did we ever tell them to do that? I don't think it's reasonable for
them to expect to follow -hackers and jump in when somebody grumbles
about AIX being a burden somewhere deep down a thread...

Michael

От: Laurenz Albe
Сообщение: Re: DOCS: Avoid using abbreviation "aka"
От: "Andrey M. Borodin"
Сообщение: Re: Injection points: some tools to wait and wake