Re: Broken link

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: Broken link
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
> On 6 Feb 2024, at 11:46, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>
> On 2024-Feb-06, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>
>>> On 5 Feb 2024, at 22:23, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:
>>
>>> This page has a link that says "See the release notes for PostgreSQL 12 for
>>> details on this change."
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/recovery-config.html
>>>
>>> The link does not go to the release notes though.
>>
>> While not directly to the v12 release notes, it leads to a page where the
>> release notes are linked from which seems good enough here.  This is a note on
>> a change that happened in the oldest still supported version, with the previous
>> behavior EOL.
>
> The release notes for 12.0 [1] say less than the recovery-config.html
> page says about the matter.  I think a good fix for this complaint is to
> remove the whole phrase "See ... for details on this change".
>
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/release/12.0/

I'm guessing it's the below entry which is referred to, which I agree isn't
likely to be all that helpful to any reader, more reading is required.

* Move recovery.conf settings into postgresql.conf (Masao Fujii, Simon Riggs,
Abhijit Menon-Sen, Sergei Kornilov)

recovery.conf is no longer used, and the server will not start if that file
exists.  recovery.signal and standby.signal files are now used to switch into
non-primary mode.  The trigger_file setting has been renamed to
promote_trigger_file.  The standby_mode setting has been removed.

That being said, all the obsolote appendix pages share that very link
structure, so I'm not sure if removing one of them is helpful.  Maybe removing
all of them and instead expanding appendix-obsolete.sgml with an explanation of
where to find more information is better?

--
Daniel Gustafsson