Re: Can PostGreSQL slow down a Windows PC much?

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Can PostGreSQL slow down a Windows PC much?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Our software will be using PostGreSQL as a database. Now I
> was wondering, if the database is installed on lets say an
> entry level Celeron, with 256MB of Ram, will it slow down the
> PC at all?
>
> I'm not taking any queries into account here, just generally,
> does installing the database slow down ones PC a bit?
> Unfortunately I don't have access to such an entry-level PC,
> so I can't test it.

As long as there are no queries running, the effect will be almost
nothing. If you're sure you don't need it, you can turn off autovacuum
which will bring it even closer to zero. (But as long as your db is
reasonably small, having autovacuum check now and then shouldn't be
noticeable either).

When you start putting a query load on it, it will show of course,
depending on what queries you have.

Depending on what you have set for shared memory, some RAM will be used
for it, but it will likely get swapped out if there is no activity.

//Magnus

От: Michael Fuhr
Сообщение: Re: composite data type question
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: autovacuum, xid wraparound, pg_database column values